A new year is upon us again already and, along with it, some pop culture anniversaries that might make you think ‘was that really that long ago?’
Yes, as of 2022, it really will have been 40 years since Channel 4 launched and ET was released.
Looking much further forward, it’s even been a whole decade since Marvel’s Avengers first teamed up on the big screen!
To see how much you remember about music, films and TV from 10, 20, 30 and 40 years ago, we’ve come up with a quiz comprising of ten questions from each year.
The answers are at the bottom of the page – no cheating!
Round 1 – 1982
1) Michael Jackson released his sixth album in November 1982, which went on to become what remains the best-selling album of all time worldwide. What was its name?
2) Channel 4 launched on November 2, 1982 with Countdown the first programme shown. Who was the host at the time?
3) Which famous single by Survivor was the theme song for the 1982 film Rocky III?
4) E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial was the highest-grossing film of 1982 and of all-time to that date. Who played Elliott in the Steven Spielberg smash hit?
5) What were the bioengineered humanoids known as in the 1982 film Blade Runner?
6) Which two singers collaborated on the 1982 single Ebony and Ivory?
7) The UK hosted the 1982 Eurovision song contest after Bucks Fizz won the previous year with Making Your Mind Up. In which Yorkshire town was the contest held?
8) The animated festive classic The Snowman first aired on Channel 4 in 1982. It was based on a picture book by which author?
9) Which American comedian made his film debut in the buddy cop action comedy 48 Hrs. in 1982?
10) Which famous American puppeteer co-directed the 1982 fantasy film The Dark Crystal?
Round 2 – 1992
11) Who topped the charts for eight weeks with the single Stay?
12) Who played Mina in Bram Stoker’s Dracula, directed by Francis Ford Coppola?
13) Which actress featured in the controversial ‘leg crossing’ interrogation scene in Basic Instinct?
14) The TV series Heartbeat debuted in 1992 – who played the main character, Constable Nick Rowan?
15) Who was ‘The Gamesmaster’ in the Channel 4 video gaming show of the same name that started in 1992?
16) Songs by Doctor Spin and Ambassadors Of Funk were UK top 10 hits in 1992 – which two Nintendo game series were they based on?
17) What were the first names of Martin Clunes and Neil Morrissey’s characters in TV series Men Behaving Badly, which debuted in 1992?
18) Which famous TV weather presenter features in a sample at the start of the track Weather Experience on the 1992 album Experience by The Prodigy?
19) In the 1992 film Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, which US state are Kevin McCallister’s family flying to when he ends up in the Big Apple after getting on the wrong plane?
20) Whitney Houston scored the biggest-selling single of the year in the UK, as well as the Christmas number one, with her cover of I Will Always Love You. Which film, also released in 1992, did the song feature on the soundtrack for?
Round 3 – 2002
21) I Will Always Love You was also covered in 2002 by Rik Waller, with the single reaching number 6 in the UK chart. Which TV talent show did he feature as a contestant on that year?
22) Will Smith continued his end credits song trend with Black Suits Comin’ (Nod Ya Head) – which film did that feature in?
23) Who played Norman Osborn in the 2002 film Spider-Man, a role the same actor has reprised in the 2021 film Spider-Man: No Way Home?
24) The BBC’s rebooted version of Top Gear started in 2002 – which presenter featured only in the first series before being replaced by James May?
25) Australian star Holly Valance released her debut single Kiss Kiss in 2002, which topped the UK chart. Which Aussie soap did she appear in before starting her music career?
26) Who played real-life con artist Frank Abagnale Jr. in Steven Spielberg’s 2002 film Catch Me If You Can?
27) Before the series was revived 14 years later, 2002 saw the final episode of The X-Files broadcast. Which actor returned as Fox Mulder for the two-part series finale?
28) Which boy band covered Elton John’s Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word in collaboration with the veteran singer?
29) Who starred as Bond girl ‘Jinx’ in Die Another Day, which ended up being Pierce Brosnan’s final 007 film?
30) Girls Aloud debuted in 2002 after featuring on TV show Pop Stars: The Rivals. What was the name of their first single?
Round 4 – 2012
31) Marvel’s Avengers superheroes teamed up on the big screen for the first time in 2012. What was the title of the film in the UK and Ireland, re-named from The Avengers to avoid confusion with the unrelated 1960s TV series?
32) The world was caught up in the Gangnam Style craze in 2012 – what was the name of the South Korean singer behind the hit single?
33) Karen Gillan, who has since appeared in the Jumanji sequels and as Nebula in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, left her role in Doctor Who in 2012. What was her character’s name?
34) During the London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony, Rowan Atkinson reprised his role as Mr Bean to perform a comedy skit accompanied by the main theme from which 1981 sports drama film?
35) The 2012 film Prometheus, directed by Ridley Scott, is a prequel to which sci-fi film series that began back in 1979?
36) 007 film Skyfall was the biggest hit of the year in the UK – in which UK nation was the historic Bond estate of the title where the film’s climax takes place supposed to be?
37) The 8000th episode of which ITV soap was aired in November 2012?
38) David Guetta and Sia collaborated on a hit single in 2012, the name of which is shared with which metal?
39) Cinemagoers returned to Middle Earth in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 2012 – which actor played the role of the young Bilbo Baggins?
40) What was the name of the Adele record which was the best-selling album of the year worldwide in 2012 having also earned that honour the previous year?
1) Thriller 2) Richard Whiteley 3) Eye Of The Tiger 4) Henry Thomas 5) Replicants 6) Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder 7) Harrogate 8) Raymond Briggs 9) Eddie Murphy 10) Jim Henson 11) Shakespears Sister 12) Winona Ryder 13) Sharon Stone 14) Nick Berry 15) Patrick Moore 16) Tetris and Super Mario 17) Gary and Tony 18) Michael Fish 19) Florida 20) The Bodyguard 21) Pop Idol 22) Men In Black II 23) Willem Dafoe 24) Jason Dawe 25) Neighbours 26) Leonardo DiCaprio 27) David Duchovny 28) Blue 29) Halle Berry 30) Sound Of The Underground 31) Avengers Assemble 32) Psy 33) Amy Pond 34) Chariots Of Fire 35) Alien 36) Scotland 37) Coronation Street 38) Titanium 39) Martin Freeman 40) 21